Skip to main content

Sunday Donuts

Cutting the donuts
Last weekend the folks were in town to help stepsis and brother-in-law move. I had the urge to make some donuts as a nice Sunday treat and to use the donut cutter I bought a few weeks ago at Streamline Antiques in Lower Mills. The results were wonderful so I decided this Sunday should be a repeat for just our little household.

I recently decided to cultivate a nice sourdough starter and use that in lieu of any dry yeast in recipes. Rather than trying to catch wild yeast or let yeast go wild, I opted for the easy route and just bought some from King Arthur Flour. The starter has been living nicely in the fridge and made a great start to these donuts.

Mr. Donut rising
The base recipe, and the one I used for the family was this one I found online. The base recipe is lovely but I decided to mix it up this week and do banana donuts. I pureed a banana in the blender then added the rest of the wet ingredients. To make up for the extra moisture I rounded the measures for the flour and leavenings. Still, the dough was pretty sticky.



Deep fried goodness
Since I didn't have anyone watching the baby this morning (Spouse was still asleep), I tended to overcook these a bit.. It made them a bit crunchy, but I didn't feel they are overly heavy, which was nice, especially since 1/4 of the flour (and 100% of the flour in the sourdough starter) was whole wheat.
Child in motion, victorious with donut



Draining donuts. Cup of tea
Glazed
The original idea was to dust the donuts with maple sugar. I boiled down some syrup and beat it until a bit creamy. When it cooled it was soli but it still had too high a moisture content to really work. So I just added a bit more syrup, some water and heated it all up until it was liquid again and made a maple glaze. Not a bad compromise at all!

This recipe is almost too easy. Fortunately I have friends nearby I was able to unload a half dozen of these on but that still left us A LOT and we had no problem scarfing them down. As the occasional treat though it's not that bad. And I like being able to provide a special something on the weekend. It helps make the house, even in the disarray we are still living in (still waiting on lead abatement), feel more like a home.

Stealing daddy's breakfast


A donut hole of one's own

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The London Trip - LONG POST

The Doc and I had the following email exchange yesterday: The Doc: I just noticed, I can't find your England Report on your blog, you say you will tell people what happened but I can't find the actual info Teru: Hmm, I should put that up, shouldn't I The Doc: Only if you want to go into details about your booty call ;-) Teru: Hmmm, I'm still uncertain about how much information I want to share on the web. It might get me more readers though :) The Doc: Don't mind what you tell people, let them know how badly I was at sex, I don't care... tell them how you got ill and had to be cared for. tell them about the time I ran out of money and had to ask for NTL to put my money back into my account. you have my consent. Anything you want. But most importantly of all you MUST tell people how much I love you, and how much I smiled and how much we kissed in public. Oh and don't forget the meet and the reading bit. Since he said I could tell all, so

The machine works!

I replaced the belt on the sewing machine last night, fired it up and she works a treat! I still haven't oiled anything yet, but I'm already planning a real, non-hankie project. I just ordered this skirt from Davenport and Company in Springfield. Fantastic email customer service by they way if you ever decide to order anything. This looks like it should be easy enough for me to muck about with using whatever fabric I can find around the house before I go buy something nice. The next project I'm contemplating is a vintage jumper with an Ubuntu logo embroidered on it for spouse. That will probably take a while though, and I still have a few other things to finish first. I promise I'll get the pictures of the tea cozies I made over Christmas plus the one I'm working on now.

And so it begins again