Thursday, July 03, 2014

Squash Blossoms

I haven't planted any squash this year (although some sort of marrow or melon is growing in the compost heap) but I saw some squash blossoms at the farmers' market on Tuesday and thought I'd give them a whirl.

We have found that in the summer we consume less milk, but have not actually cut back on our milk order. This has been leaving us with a lot of extra milk at the end of the week and I've been trying to find ways to use it. Last week I made yogurt1 and a few weeks ago I did a fresh cheese with herbs.The cheese was really yummy and easy so I opted to try that again and make stuffed squash blossoms.

I do not have pictures of the cheese-making process, but it was quite easy.
  • Gather random herbs from the garden (I used oregano, basil and sage)
  • Chop said herbs
  • Put milk and herbs into a pot and bring to a boil.
  • Add 1 cup buttermilk (I make it from powder)
  • Add 1/4 cup vinegar - the curds will separate almost instantly.
  • Drain curds in cheesecloth. Add some salt

The next step was putting a bit of this cheese into the squash. I should have made this the day I bought the blossoms as waiting made it harder to open them without ripping the petals. You need to remove the pistil from the center of the flower and then squish in the cheese and twist the tops shut.

Stuffed blossoms

Make a simple batter with 1 egg, about a tablespoon of cornstarch, a pinch of salt and 1/2 cup of flour. Add seltzer,  mixing until it is the consistency of heavy cream.

Heat some oil in a heavy pan. roll the stuffed flowers around in the batter and then place in the hot oil to fry. Turn to brown evenly.


Removed when browned and drain

Who doesn't like fried cheese!
Look at that crispy goodness!

I served this with a bit of spaghetti and a simple sauce made from
  • 1 large tomato, chopped
  • 1/2 small zucchini, chopped
  • 1/3 yellow pepper, sliced into strips
  • 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • Fresh oregano
The fiddliest bet was preparing the flowers without mangling them. I did lose one, ripping it beyond use, but I think it would have been easier if they were fresher.

This recipe is definitely a keeper. Even Spouse scarfed them down and opined that he wished the local restaurant would have food like this. *blush*

Yogurt: heat 1/2 gallon of milk to 110 F, stir in plain yogurt with live culture. Cover and place in a warm oven for 12 hours. Drain off whey, which can then be fed to the garden


Betsey Lord said...

Oh this looks SO good!

Teru said...

It was fantastic! I would totally make this for company I was trying to impress